To start, let me clarify one thing: the following is a list of the pros and cons of short hair vs the pros and cons of long hair...not the pros and cons of hair in general...
I seem to be in a constant state of back and forth when it comes to my hair. Some days I love that I'm growing my hair out and how long it is getting, and all the different things I'll be able to do soon. Other days, I can't stand it and want to chop it all off to the length where it was so easy to take care and seemed to look good without any effort or thought. So I've created a list (because if you know me, you know how much I love making lists) of pros and cons of both long and short hair. Perhaps some of you will agree and share my love/hate relationship with various lengths of hair.
- Minimum time needed to style...because there isn't much to style...
- Minimum (if any) brushing necessary (it's called "bed head" for a reason)...brush fingers through hair = done
- Quicker washing time...but more importantly, quicker drying time
- You don't find it everywhere, or at least not as often...seriously, I never remember finding hair in so many places besides the top of my head when my hair was short!
- Depending on how short the style is, you can't put it up off your neck in the summer...which can be infuriating when you are so hot you don't want ANYTHING to even touch you
- You have to "maintain" it more often, as in, actually get it cut if you like the style, BEFORE it grows out and you look like a sheepdog...which seems to happen by the end of each month
- You are a more limited in styling choices...sometimes so limited in fact your options may just be "do I part it on the left side, right side, try to slick it back, or just wear a hat today?" ...OK maybe not THAT limited, but some pretty basic stuff
- ALL of the braid styles belong to you! Fishtail, maiden braids, headband braids, vestal virgin braids (if you have the time for that sort of complexity...and patience...oh and at least WAIST LENGTH hair), mermaid braid, waterfall braid, 5 strand braid...I could go on (and yes, I'm aware there are a few of those that would work on shorter hair as well)
Summer heat getting to you? Throw that mane into a top knot and forget about it (because when its that hot out, who cares how chic and tidy your hair looks when your makeup is probably running from your sweat anyways...)
Also useful during winter-turn those long tresses into a makeshift scarf by just wrapping them around you
One word: Updos
- It takes forever to dry...and washing your hair can take so long, your arms go numb
- You may wake up in the middle of the night dreaming you're being strangled, just to realize its only your hair
- When it is down, any physical contact with another person (i.e: hugging, cuddling, sitting next to someone on a couch, etc) becomes dangerous and the phrase "ow! you're on my hair!" is uttered too often
- Have you ever had your hair get caught in a car door or car window? ....let me just leave that thought out there...
- And speaking of cars, that idea of "flowing hair in the wind" while you drive is a lie...unless you want to spend twenty minutes brushing out the knots that form whilst being blinded by hair whipping across your face, tie it back or keep the windows up
- You actually have to brush your hair in the morning...maybe not everyone with long hair looks crazy first thing in the morning...but I know I'm similar to the girl from "the ring" when I roll out of bed...and not just because I haven't had coffee yet
- That pain that happens when you wear a tight pony-tail all day and take it down after 8+ hours...you ALL know what I mean..
Now that you know my pros/cons, how do you feel about your hair length? What did you think about my lists? Agree? Disagree?
Oh, and since I'm in a comparing mood, what do you all think of my hair short vs long?