Here we are again, with yet another of my favorite types of posts...a pros and cons list!
Today's subject: Short Skirts.
Now, I like skirts in general because they are so versatile. Long or short, depending on what you pair it with for a top, and what you pair it with for a shoe, said outfit can easily transition from casual to office/dinner-date friendly. Short skirts in particular have a little more of a range available for versatility level. For example, my go-to, office-friendly outfit is a button up blouse tucked into a high-waisted, black, pencil-skirt. Professional without making me feel too "stuffy" or like I'm trying to age myself. Easily made a bit more casual or formal by trading out a pair of pointed ballet-flats with a black pump. Add a suit jacket for the office, or a sweater for dinner out. At the same time, I can just as easily wear the same pencil skirt with a graphic print t-shirt, a scarf, some colorful tights, and a pair of boots, and I have a casual but fun and chic look.
That being said, there are quite a few pros of having a shorter skirt...but there are definite cons as well that can get overlooked...
- Depending on the style (pencil skirt/jean skirt/ mini skirt/ a-line skirt), it's easily taken from day to night or office to "after-work-events" with a few minor accessory and jacket adjustments (aka: lose the suit jacket or trade the flip flops for a wedge heel)
- Shorter skirts give shorter girls (or girls who just have short legs) the illusion of having long legs...and sometimes you just want to feel a little leggier
- Circle/ A-line skirts + spin test = good skirt (no, the spin test is not just done by little girls...)
- Wearing shorter skirts in the summer is amazing because you feel that much closer to not having any extra "heat adding articles" (aka pants) in direct contact with your legs... and considering it's not widely approved of (yet) for ladies to go topless in warmer months like men do, this is the closest we get to wearing the least amount of clothing necessary in a "socially acceptable" way
- If you wear a long jacket with it, you can say this is your song all day...
- They make you feel sexy or cute...
- They make you LOOK sexy or cute (because you feel that way)
- More chance of embarrassing mishaps if you drop something and need to pick it up
- There are times when sitting that said skirt suddenly seems to look a lot shorter then when you were standing...
- Sometimes it takes a few tries to find the right cut for your body. It's amazing what just a few inches adjustment, such as knee-length vs below the knee hemlines, will do to your height/appearance.
- Summer + any seating outside + short skirt = guaranteed burn on the back of your thighs/calves
- Short skirts can be a pain if you shave regularly...it suddenly becomes way more often then if you just decided to wear pants or tights all week (I know I'm not the only one who thinks this...)
- Sitting on typical office chairs and standing up tends to take effort to pull yourself away from the fabric without ripping off your skin, which was attempting to meld with the chair for the last few hours
- Speaking of sitting, is it just me or does anyone else have to remind themselves to put their knees together when wearing a short skirt ( I cross my legs so daintily in pants, and yet when I wear a short skirt...)?
- If you wear them in colder months without tights or leggings, you may find you need to sit directly on the heater once you arrive at work/home to get any feeling back in your lower body (nothing like warm buns, straight off the radiator!)
So those are some of my top pros and cons of short skirts. What do you think? Do you have anymore pros or cons of wearing, or things you notice from observing them on someone else?
The weather here has been definite "short skirt" material this week, so this post seemed appropriate, along with the first day of Summer so close to being here!