It's here - The most wonderful time of the year (well...in my opinion)!
Welcome to October, or as I refer to it on my blog, "The Month of Masquerades"!
This is my second year doing this project, and I have so many amazing things in store for the following month - especially now that I have my own camera and have been working diligently on some awesome costumes and Halloween ideas to share!
To get you started, here are some fun ways to add a touch of Halloween to each day this month, without having to put on a full costume (unless you want to...in which case, you probably don't need to be reading this for Halloween advice):
Whether it's spooky or seasonal earrings, some skeletal rings, or fun pendents, it's easy to add some subtle Halloween flare to your outfit with a bit of spooky bling.
- Scarves / leggings / socks:
When it comes to leggings and socks, there are a large variety of prints and textures that work well for not only the holiday season, but to keep you warm too! Etsy offers many unique creations, including some of my favorite tights (I even bought a pair just for Halloween!).
As for scarves, you can find skull scarves most anywhere now (mine is from the thrift store), or just use some "creepy" fabric from the craft store for an interesting add on to your ensemble.
Go ahead, get a little crazy! Wear a smoky eye and smoky lip! Black lipstick a bit too much for you? Create a black to red gradient for a more sultry affect, and lighten up on the eye makeup. Pull out some crazy Halloween colors like orange or purple and see what you can come up with! Or go really bold with some funky lashes (I found these at the costume store)!
Or, you can always add some Holiday touches around your house if you don't feel like displaying it on your person:
- Candles can be both functional (delicious scents and a light source), and creepy if done right (have you ever walked through a dark room with only candle light casting shadows on the wall?)! Don't forget about all the great holders out now (I found a Jack-O-Lantern candle holder for less than $3.00!).
- I decorated my wall with bats years ago in my first apartment, and even kept them up all year until we moved! Over the years they became less sticky, so I had to buy new ones this year (the same model as last time, from Target).
- Also from Target were these gel handprints - the perfect "welcome" sign for the front door!
- Pick up some simple items from the craft store like mannequin busts and drape them with fabric for some instant ghosts! Even a foam skull placed somewhere in the house will work for a simple but eerie display.
- And don't forget classic Halloween lighting, like these light up "Pumpkins", the ghosts from Casper!
- Of course, Halloween isn't complete without something a little sweet (good thing I found some candy waiting to be placed in my basket at the grocery store so I could use my pumpkin candy dish)!
Trick or Treat!
Stay tuned folks - I'll be posting Halloween shenanigans and costume ideas a few times each week until the big day arrives!
What's your favorite part about October?