“Pleasure was the color of the time.”Harold Clurman
I’m elated to finally begin this celebration of my first 100 posts with the intro to my decade posts! This project has been ongoing for a number of months now, and I’m excited to share some of my favorite styles inspired by the decades from the past 100 years.
The Roaring 20s
- Popular music of the era: Jazz (known now as Big Band)
- Dances of the era: The Charleston
- Films of the era: Metropolis, Nosferatu, Mickey Mouse Steamboat Willy
- Books of the era: The Great Gatsby, The Sound and the Fury, The Velveteen Rabbit
- History of the era: Women’s Suffrage Ratified, Mass Media was born, Prohibition begins
This photoshoot was an especially fun to work on with the inspiration of flappers, art deco, and dramatic makeup. I used a vintage dress (courtesy of my mother-in-law) and a bob wig to create my flapper look. As much as I would have loved to create finger-waves, my wig was not high enough quality to style, but the sleek bob was still a great alternative! I chose dramatic makeup with thin brows, smokey eye-shadow, and a darker toned lip. Accessories were simple with a shawl matching my beaded champagne dress and emerald colored art deco earrings.
I hope you enjoyed my depiction of the Roaring 20s! Stay tuned for the next post in this series, “1930s: The Golden Age of Hollywood”!